Friday, March 16, 2007

Frugal Friday



This chair was priced $14.99 at the thrift store. The manager marked it down an extra 25% because I was taking it with me. I may try my hand at reupholstering it this summer. Although I do like it the way it is now, nice and vintage-y. Its going to be my "prayer chair". I finally have a corner in my bedroom where I can put this chair, a small table and lamp and use it to sit at to pray or read or write or just be still and know God.

After I dropped the boys off to work on the robot, I went and did some grocery shopping. Oh boy, it was nice to go shopping on a Thursday night rather than on a weekend. I usually have to wait until Fridays to shop, as that day is payday and sometimes the bank account is a little low by Thursday night. This week, I had extra $. At Meijer, I was able to find chicken legs and thighs for .69 a pound. I stocked up! 5 packs of thighs and 3 packs of legs, cost me about $8 and some change. Frozen veggies were a great deal at .78 a package. Cabbage (of course) was a steal at .25 a pound. We grew cabbage last year in our garden. If you would have told me before last year that cabbage could be sweet, I'd of laughed my tail off, but it is! I can't wait to get gardening. In fact, my grandmother always swore by planting her peas and potatoes on St. Patricks day. I may just pick up a package of pea seeds this weekend and give it a try.

Martins had a good sale on some store brand items, ketchup .59, baked beans .69, canned veggies 4/$1. They were limited amounts though, limit 2 and 4. I HATE that. I know I could go back a couple of times, but I do hate the hassle. If I have the family with me, I sometimes send each person through the line with the limited items, the store card (again, I HATE those things. I refuse to shop at Krogers because of it, but I caved to Martins.) and $$.

I'll be at Aldis later today. Friday isn't the best day of the week to shop at Aldi's, but I've found if you go over the noon hour, its not quite so bad. I won't be needing much from there today. Cereal, cheese, produce.

I'm hoping I can do a cost analysis of all of our meals this week and see just where all the $ is going and then I can figure a strategy to plug the leak.

I also bought a bottle of Sam-e from the health food store today. This is my last attempt to treat this depression naturally. If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to give in and call my doctor. I hate the idea of medication, I just hate it. I know lots of other people take it and have gotten much benefits, but personally, for me, it just feels like yet another way I've failed at my life. Totally irrational, I know. But that's how I feel even if how I feel is subject to change at any given moment. :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Good job on your thrift sale find and your grocery shopping. I am with you on the whole limiting items thing, which is why I won't shop Martin's. I also hate their milk sales where you have to purchase ten dollars in order to get cheap milk. I favor Kroger & Meijer just because they seem to run better sales and they do less limiting of quantities.

As for the depression thing, there is NO SHAME in getting treatment. I have suffered from depression for a long time and I tried going without medication and herbal remedies...they did not work for me. Originally I saw it as a character flaw that I would need medication, then when I was off it I realized that it actually made me worse. I am a better mom, a better wife, and a better friend when I am on my medicine. I know it is hard, it was a hard decision to make for me too. I have finally come to terms with it and now I realize how much better I am!

Blog Archive